- 24 hour Emergency Wardens
- Animal Welfare
- Animal friendly hotels
- Corporate and group days
- Dog Fouling
- Dog Friendly Pubs
- Dogs Barking
- GSPCA Build Appeal
- GSPCA Committee
- GSPCA Membership
- Gert the GSPCA Duck - Fun for kids
- Guernsey Animal Law
- Guernsey Dog Tax Law
- Our Team
- Restrictions on Beaches in Guernsey
- Stray Cockerels & Hens
- Adoption costs at the GSPCA
- Boarding Facilities
- Cat Adoption
- Choosing a Puppy
- Comments & Feedback
- Dog Adoption
- Dog Behaviour
- Dog Training
- Education and Schools
- Fostering Scheme
- Guided Tours at the GSPCA
- Lost & Found Advice
- Microchipping only £4.99 & advice
- Pet Bereavement Advice Page
- Pet Cremation Services
- Pet supplies and products on sale
- Room hire at the GSPCA
- Training & Courses
- Vote for a staff member or volunteer
Every penny we raise through our puppy and dog-training classes goes directly towards the animals in our care and to improving our welfare facilities for the ever-increasing number of stray, neglected and unwanted pets.
- We run the APDT Good Companion Puppy and Foundation Training Awards at the Animal Shelter on a Tuesday and Thursday evening (7pm – 8pm) and also on other days / nights when we are able.
- Our training courses run for 6 weeks and each class lasts for approximately an hour (give or take). There are a maximum of 6 (or on a rare occasion 7) dogs per class allowing us to give each dog lots of individual attention.
- The total cost of the 6 week course is £50
- All of the puppies must have had their second vaccinations before they can begin the puppy course.
- Our approach is very much based on modern motivational training. We want the dogs to learn because they find it rewarding NOT because they are trying to avoid a punishment or correction.
- We do use the Clicker as part of our training. Please 'click' on the link below for more information.
- We teach a mix of basic commands such as sit, down, walking nicely on lead and recall as well as working through focus exercises, calm greeting of people and other dogs on lead and exercises to prevent / stop jumping up. We demonstrate activities that owners can do with their dog to help build and strengthen their bond, the dog’s responsiveness and thus increase owner control.
- We continually assess each dog and advise on any behaviour problems that the owners may be experiencing.
- Our aim is that people leave the classes with a greater understanding of their dogs and why they do things. We try to give the owners the skills to deal with anything that their dog throws at them while helping them to enjoy being a dog owner, after all that's what its all about.
Click the button below to download an Application Form
For those owners and dogs that have graduated from the Puppy classes and would like to undertake the Good Companion Award please complete a follow on form.
Click the button below to download a Continuation Form
Myself and Jenny Mahy take the classes with helpers. I am from a canine behaviour background and Jenny is an obedience trainer so we have a good range of knowledge depending on your individual needs. We are both members of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers see http://www.apdt.co.uk/ for more information.
Lorna has a lifetime of experience with a huge variety of breeds. She started out in traditional dog training and ‘showing’ becoming the Channel Island Junior Handler in the early eighties. She moved from formal dog training to applied canine behaviour when she joined the Rehabilitation Department at Battersea Dogs’ and Cats’ Home. During this time it became clear that the most important thing a dog needs is to learn to trust its handler. Since joining the GSPCA she has continued to manage the assessing and rehoming of the Shelter dogs as well as helping to train and rehabilitate family pets. She is dedicated to helping people understand their pets and to improving the dog – owner relationship.
Jenny has over 40 year’s dog training experience including dancing with dogs and competitive obedience, having competed at Crufts as part of the Guernsey team. She is a qualified judge for the Kennel Club Good Citizen Award Scheme and is committed to improving the dog / owner bond.
Jenny has moved from ‘traditional’ training techniques and now applies modern motivational training methods that do not compromise the mental and physical welfare of the dogs.
We believe in continued personal development and strive to build upon our skills and experience by attending course, seminars and workshops when we can.
If there is a kinder alternative why do it any other way.
Thursday 29th January 7pm Puppy - FULL
Tuesday 10th March 7pm Puppy - FULL
Thursday 26th March 7pm Beginner - FULL
Tuesday 28th April 7pm Puppy - FULL
Thursday 14th May 7pm Puppy - FULL
Tuesday 16th June Puppy - FULL
Thursday 9th July Puppy - FULL
Tuesday 18th August Puppy - FULL
Please note class spaces are allocated on receipt of a completed application form and payment of £50. Thank you
Looking for Pet Insurance in Guernsey? Check out this link to the New Rossborough Pet Insurance in partnership with the GSPCA.
Please watch this video http://youtu.be/d1gM1fdIP4w and support our local Staffies. If the link doesn't work, copy and paste to your browser.