Submitted by GSPCA on 18:09, 3rd Apr, 2012 | 0

Tomorrow is World Stray Day and the GSPCA are urging pet owners to ensure that their pets are microchipped.

Every month the GSPCA deal with dozens of stray dogs and cats that are found wandering the streets or as road traffic accidents.

Since the start of 2012 the GSPCA have already had 49 cats that have been sadly knocked over and brought into the Shelter.  Unfortunately only 58% have had microchips leaving a further 42% without a microchip or collar for us to be able to find an owner quickly.  It is very upsetting when this happens and even more so when we are not able to inform an owner of the very sad news.

The other stray, welfare and unwanted cats brought into the Shelter we have found over 50% not having a microchip.  Fortunately some of the owners are found through local radio broadcasts and distraught owners calling the Shelter, but many more never find their owners and the GSPCA then find them new homes.

We are graced that with stray dogs as it is rare not to find an owner but we still find that many do not have collars with tags to comply with the Control of Dogs Act and without microchips.  In fact during 2011 44% of the stray dogs were found not to have a microchip.

As an average we are seeing more than 2 in 5 dogs and cats aren’t microchipped which prevents us being able to reunite owner and pet quickly.

GSPCA Manager Steve Byrne said ‘Nearly every day of the year we have at least one stray animal or road traffic accident brought into the Shelter and nearly half of them have no form of identification.’  ‘We are microchipping for only £4.99 and if every pet was chipped it would mean many more animals could be reunited with their owners and it could be done within two phone calls, one to the data base and one to the owner.’

Over the last month the GSPCA have microchipped dogs and cats for only £4.99 and to promote responsible pet ownership we are going to continue this offer Microchip your cat and dog for only £4.99through the month of April.

Another issue we often have are owners not updating their details with the microchip data bases and we would urge all owners to please ensure their details are up to date.  If you unsure on how to do this please get in touch with your animals microchip number and the GSPCA can refer you to the right company.

To find out one of the success stories when we managed to reunite Dipstick the cat please

Dipstick the cat returned to his owner thanks to a microchip - GSPCA, Guernsey


Fancy raising some funds for the Shelter? On the 29th April there is a sponsored walk being held, for more details -

GSPCA Cupcake Week Guernsey

Summer Fayre and Dog Show – Saturday 7th July 2012 - for more details

If you would like to donate online to help cats like Deacon you can do so by going to our fundraising page -

Donate here

If you would like to become a member or donate monthly please -

Become a member or donate monthly

To find out how to knit a mouse for a homeless cat -

Knit a mouse for a homeless cat



Telephone - 01481 257261



Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Allowed HTML tags: <a> <em> <strong> <cite> <code> <ul> <ol> <li> <dl> <dt> <dd>
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.

More information about formatting options